At this year’s AWP conference, Melissa Reddish will be at our table signing books! Stop by table number 548-T on Friday, February 10th from 2:00pm to 3:00pm. Melissa will be signing copies of her Conium Press novella, Girl & Flame. You can also catch her and other Conium Press authors at our offsite reading on Thursday, February 9th at Bar Louie.
We’re pleased to be participating in an AWP 2017 offsite reading with F(r)iction, Sibling Rivalry Press, and Upper River Boot Books. The event will be at Bar Louie, located at 701 7th St NW (just a few-minute walk from the convention center). Event starts at 8:00pm. No cover charge, and the first 50 people in the door get free drink tickets. Find the event on Facebook and share it with your friends.
Readers for Conium Press are:
- Maryse Meijer, reading from “Her Blood,” published in The Conium Review: Vol. 5.
- Melissa Reddish, reading an excerpt from her novella-in-flashes, Girl & Flame, published by Conium Press in 2016.
- Kate Garklavs, reading her flash fiction, “In Memoriam: Lot 69097,” winner of our 2016 Flash Fiction Contest, judged by Leesa Cross-Smith.
The Conium Review‘s outreach coordinator, Chelsea Werner-Jatzke, will also be reading from her Sibling Rivalry Press chapbook, Adventures in Property Management. Readers for the other presses include David Abrams, Amie Whittemore, Ben Janse, Joy Baglio, Michelle Lin, Kazumi Chin, Kai Carlson-Wee, Anders Carlson-Wee, and Geffrey Davis.
We hope you can make it, and stop by The Conium Review‘s AWP bookfair table: 548-T.
It’s nomination time again! We recently sent out nods for the annual Queens Ferry Press Best Small Fictions anthology. We also nominated for the Eric Hoffer Award and the Independent Publisher Book Awards.
The nomination process is always difficult — we published so many amazing pieces in 2016 — but eventually we narrowed it down. We’re pleased to share our picks for this year, and we hope you’ll reread a few of these favorites (and check out other work from these authors).
Best Small Fictions anthology nominations:
- Ashley Hutson, for “The Hen of God,” published in The Conium Review Online Compendium (online).
- Matt Tompkins, for “Souvenirs,” published in Souvenirs and Other Stories (print).
- Jessica Roeder, for “Birth,” published in The Conium Review: Vol. 5 (print)
- Shane Jones, for “Gazebo,” published The Conium Review: Vol. 5 (print)
- Jasmine Sawers, for “Tiny Little Goat,” published in The Conium Review: Vol. 5 (print).
Eric Hoffer Book Award nominations:
Independent Publisher Book Award nomination:
- Girl & Flame, by Melissa Reddish.
Melissa Reddish recently wrote a piece for Monkeybicycle‘s “If My Book” series–where authors compare their new books to strange things.
Melissa says “If Girl and Flame were a love letter, it would be addressed to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Gilmore Girls, Joan Jett, Garbage, Fiona Apple, Joan Didion, Margaret Atwood, and my mom.” We couldn’t agree more. Dig deeper into Melissa’s comparative interpretation of her novella here.
An excerpt from Melissa Reddish’s Girl & Flame: A Novella has been published at Fiction Advocate. The excerpt, “After the Fire,” contains the first three section from Melissa’s novella-in-flashes, out now from Conium Press. If you like what you read at Fiction Advocate, pick up a copy of Melissa’s book from our website or on Amazon.