Important Reading Announcement
We have re-opened our print edition submission pool to Black writers.
All other writers may still submit with proof of a donation to support racial justice and Black rights. Some places to donate include (but are not limited to): #BlackLivesMatter, Color of Change, Loveland Foundation, NAACP Legal Defense Fund, Official George Floyd Memorial Fund, Sadie Collective.
The Conium Review Print Edition
The Conium Review acquires first serial printing rights. All rights revert to the author upon publication. If your story is accepted for publication, you will receive a complimentary contributor copy of the issue.
We publish innovative writing. Send us stories that take risks. Experiment with character, structure, or theme. Get weird with it.
The Conium Review‘s print edition open reading period is February 1st, 2020 and May 1st, 2020.
If you missed the open reading period, Black authors can still submit for free through August 1st, 2020.
All other writers may submit through August 1st, 2020 with proof of a donation to support racial justice and Black rights. Any donation amount is acceptable; give what you can. Some places you can donate include (but are not limited to): #BlackLivesMatter, Color of Change, Loveland Foundation, NAACP Legal Defense Fund, Official George Floyd Memorial Fund, and Sadie Collective. When you submit your story, include a screenshot of your donation confirmation or similar proof of donation.
Please submit all work using our Submittable page. If you don’t already have one, you can create a Submittable account for free.
We only consider fiction; no poems, nonfiction, or visual art. You may submit up to three flash fiction pieces (uploaded as a single file), one short story, or one novella. We define flash fiction as below 1,000 words and novellas as over 15,000 words. Do not send additional work until you get our response to the original submission.
Upload your fiction submission as a single file.
In the “Biography Statement” field, please include a brief third-person bio. If your work is accepted for publication, your bio appears inside the published issue of The Conium Review along with your story.
Submissions must be unpublished, original work. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but you must withdraw your submission immediately if it is accepted elsewhere.
Praise for The Conium Review:
- “The Conium Review . . . is raising a unique voice. And it is one that’s worth listening to.” —Prick of the Spindle
- ” . . . tension, mystery, good old-fashioned action pulled off with clarity and skill, and the occasional bombshell of a metaphor. I found myself constantly itching to find out what was going to happen next . . . ” —NewPages.com
- ” . . . we’re bearing witness to the bizarre, but it’s not just bizarre for the sake of bizarre. It’s a brand of bizarre that offers insight into the human condition.” —Small Press Reviews
- ” . . . strange and unfamiliar, all while keeping us grounded in a seemingly ‘familiar’ world . . . a mixture of the strange and new.” —Stone Highway Review
- “Whether the plot is deft, or deliciously lengthy, each story in [The Conium Review] provides remarkable characters, and situations to grapple with. A reader will be entertained and satisfied with the variety of storytelling while the writer will be encouraged and hopefully inspired.” —The Review Review